Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Let's get it started.....

Well I've finally decided to take the jump and do a race. The race I've chosen is the Try-a-tri Athlone:

http://www.triathlone.com/index.php?id=42

For a beginner this looks perfect, a 200m swim, a 20k bike ride and a 5k run which should ease my entry into the world of triathlon. The race takes place on July 18th 2009 which gives me approx 15 weeks of training. Considering that I could easily swim 200m, am regularly cycling 10K and would feel that a 5k run is well within my ability it looks like one I couldn't say no to!!

So now that I've chosen a race my training will have much more of a focus. My swim training will be much more about speed over 200m rather than distance, my cycling will be initially building up to 20k and then working on endurance while my running will all be focused towards dropping my 5k time. After the first couple of weeks I will introduce "brick" workouts e.g cycle followed by a run and towards the end of my training I will add a couple of transition practice runs.

Now that the date is set I feel excited and motivated for what is to come and the brighter evenings and better weather will only help to fuel my motivation for training.

Till next time.....

No comments: